Monday 16 April 2012

The secret

Shall I let you in on a little secret? They're true; all those clichéd things you hear people say in moments of terror and catastrophe, they're all, in that moment, completely true.

"It felt like being punched in the gut...having my heart ripped out"
"It was the worst moment of my life"
"If I can just get through today..."
"I'd give anything to turn back time" (thank you Cher)
"It felt like a dream"
"I'd swap places with you in a heartbeat"
"How will I go on?"
"This can't be happening to me...there's been some sort of mistake"
"I'll never do anything bad again if you'll just make this ok"
"You've got to laugh, or you'd go mad"
"I love you more than my own life"
"Please don't die today"

Yesterday my young niece briefly went missing. She was fine and having a lovely time being given juice and a biscuit by an elderly neighbour, but when I read about it on my sister's FB page (I know, I'm a bad person and I'm neglecting everyone) and thought about the agonising terror she must have felt, the clichés she must of thought and said and how long that 30 minutes must have seemed, it really made me think about my own experience of the last 6 months and what these clichés, which I assure you everyone thinks / feels / says at these times and are all completely true, say about us.

And do you know what I think they say? I think they are a proof of how adaptable and extraordinary we are when we need to be. I think they say and show how resilient the human spirit is, how strong we can be when we don't think we can go on any further and how, when we truly love, we love fiercely and without boundaries.

So this is what I have learned about these clichés and it's not really a secret, it's just that not everybody discovers their truth. I'm very glad about that.

Have a lovely terror / catastrophe free week.

No comments:

Post a Comment