Friday 10 February 2012

Best behaviour and pants

Take a moment to think back to the last time you sat an exam; recall the nervous anxiety flip flopping in your stomach, the clammy hands and dry throat, the alarming realisation that you have one shot to 'pass' and this is it. If you have children, how did it feel on SAT, 11+, GCSE, A level or degree results day? Hold that thought and feeling for a moment.

Under the Rehabilitation Code 2007 Jake is eligible for a dedicated Case Manager, co-funded by the driver's insurance company and our solicitor, even though liability is still not yet agreed. The purpose of this is to make sure that Jake's needs are prioritised ahead of any legal wrangling and we get the right support at the right time.

Today as part of this process Jake and I are having an 'immediate needs assessment' with our Case Manager. Having spoken to her on the phone I know she is lovely. She has been caring and supportive and seems genuinely interested in helping us. Of course, she is co-funded, so she is not a member of Team Korving, rather an impartial observer and contributor, which I must remember!

All in all, today is an opportunity to make sure that Jake is fully supported and given every possible chance for a good outcome.
So why do I feel like we're about to take an exam?! I know this is ridiculous, but I can feel myself obsessing about what I'm going to say and whether Jake will 'perform'.
I must fight the urge to check that my pen works, my pencil is sharpened, that I have a clean eraser and my calculator doesn't need new batteries. I must also fight the bizarre urge I have to make sure I have my best pants on! Madness.
Let's be honest, you don't need to be a psychologist to realise that I am transferring my general anxiety about what has happened onto this afternoon's meeting...I do so hate being such a cliché!
So, assuming you are able to recall that exam time feeling, think of us this afternoon as we are on our best behaviour, whilst wearing our best pants. I'll let you know how we get on. 

1 comment: